Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Kreinik Custom Corder

I posted a comment to Marie P's blog on how I use the KCC. She e-mailed and said I should post how I use it on my blog. So, here goes...
I have a stand my dad made for me. It was supposed to be the form for a Christmas tree, but I never got around to making it. I decided to use it for my needlework instead. It's about four feet tall. He made it out of a 1-1/2 by 3-1/2 piece of wood. With a brace at the bottom.
I then place my magnetic hook on my refrigerator to hold my strands of floss used to make the cord.
I make a knot in each end of the strands of floss. I loop one end onto the refrigerator hook and the other end onto the KCC hook.

Then I use the KCC to wind the floss for my first strand of cording and attach it to the first nail on the stand



I don't normally do more than a three colored cord, so I only need three nails.


I wind the floss toward me when making the individual colored strands. Then when I'm ready to put the cord together, I hook the three individual cords on to the KCC and wind the floss away from me. I take the three knotted strands off the hook and make one big knot. Then while holding on to the big knot, I take the three looped ends off the hook, and make another knot. Then I drop one end. The cord does not come unwound. Trust me, it works. That's how I do all my cording.
I hope this gives you this an idea of how I use the KCC. Sorry for the cluttered look. I did well to get all the photos posted!

7 comments:

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Very interesting...I'm going to have to try this!

Hazel said...

Looks complicated but it would be fab to be able to make nice cording. Love your little tipsy trees. Can't wait to see how you finish them. xx

Marie said...

Okay, i'm with you on this :-D I thought you had a little piece of wood with 3 nails, now I understand why it does not move LOL! I am definately going to give it a try...might need to use my son instead of a board!
Can't wait to see how this compares to putting all the different colors together and making the cording that way.
Thanks so much Becky for posting the pics!

Becky K in OK said...

Marie, you know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words! Hope the photos help you and everyone else. It's not as complicated as it sounds, really. There's probably a better way also, but it works for me, so I use it!

Carol said...

Thanks Becky!!! I have that gadget, except under a different name - looks identical! I will try it out your way, the darn thing has totally intimidated me to date!

Wendy said...

Thanks Becky! Now if only I can find one of these thingymajigs somewhere!

Michelle said...

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to have to get one of these!

Blog Archive